Monday, April 25, 2011

What's Does This All Mean?

sym·po·sium noun \sim-ˈpō-zē-əm also -zh(ē-)əm\ 
a : a social gathering at which there is free interchange of ideas 
b : a collection of opinions on a subject; especially : one published by a periodical 

First, let me explain the title...I am a history major w/ an emphasis on classic civilizations, two of the most interesting cultures are those of ancient Rome and Greece mainly because they are very similar to our sans technology.  I first heard the term symposium during a lecture and immediately became enamored with the idea.  I thought, that sounds awesome, drink some libations, throw out a topic and discuss, amazing right!?!  A symposium is very much the opposite of beer pong and other sorts of drinking fun like trying to lure a stinko to your apartment so you can contract her VD's.  Now, to be clear, you don't have to talk about Obama's stance on education, although you could, I would prefer to discuss sports, listen to music or even discuss our everyday life and your unique view of what it all means.  Symposium's are an excuse to be social in the purest sense, see above...but this blog is more applicable to definition B...namely my opinions so suq it.

Now that I have explained the "symposium", I can now approach the main topic of the blog, beer.  I would like to refer to it as just that, "beer" but as we all know, to most people, "beer" is most closely defined as a nice bottle of Coors, Bud Light, MGD, Corona, Heineken etc etc etc....I like to refer to that as "crap".  Some people place the term "craft" in front of beer to differentiate between the aforementioned shitty mass produced beer and carefully crafted quality beers.  You can call it a craft beer or a micro-brew, I really do not care, my favorite term is actually one bestowed upon said beers by a Bud Light loving hater who we can refer to as D Rens.  D Ren's bestowed the term "weird beer" on all those ales that fall outside of his cheap, piss flavored, cold filtered "crap"... he meant it to be an insult but the more I heard it, the more I loved it! Since I am defining terms in this bitch, read the below to see why I think he hit the nail on the head...
A fitting portrait of D Rens... "crap" in hand

weird adj \ˈwird\


 2 : of strange or extraordinary character : odd; fantastic


...so to call something "weird" in this case, is to call it extraordinary, so I will gladly call it "weird beer", I think breweries like Stone, DFH, Russian River, Great Divide, etc would be flattered!  So thank you D Ren's, through your hate, I find love.

Cheers to weird beer!



2 comments:

  1. A note to the writer: It was actually "ARens" that bestowed the term "weird beer".

    Although I enjoy weird beer and I am definitely not a hater, I used this term one night when DRens and I were drunk on cheap, piss flavored crap called "Olympia".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, relax ARens...I will amend this...even though IT RUINS MY STORY...unless you have a self portrait of you with a Bud Light in hand...

    ReplyDelete